Welcome to my place on the web!

Hi! Welcome to my blog! My name is Sheree and I've been married to my husband, Doug, for twenty years. We have four children, Jessica (19), Jeremy (16), Andrew (13) and Sarah (11). I am a Christian homeschooling mom and I've been homeschooling since my oldest was in Kindergarten. It's been quite an adventure, and one I wouldn't trade for any other career. I'm here to share my own experiences and all that God has and currently is faithfully walking me through in my life.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Donley Family Zoo




My kids are always finding some sort of critter outdoors that they want to learn about. I've grown accustomed to it. We've had critters of every imaginable kind in containers, boxes, aquariums, etc. When they were younger we ordered catarpillars and watched the process of them turning into butterflies. We had butterflies flying around our living room eating from flowers and orange slices and sugar water. It was great fun! The kids even took them and released them in our tent and let them fly around. Here's a picture of Andrew with a butterfly resting on his face when he was younger.





Wow, that seems like forever ago! Andrew recently found a big moth outside. He put it in a jar and brought it inside. He decided to hold it, and here you can see it clinging to his nose.

I call Andew Dr. DooLittle. He seems to attract animals of all sorts. Today he brought in a small snake that he had caught, for the third time. He keeps releasing him, and finding him again. I hope the snake doesn't get too big. Snakes and I don't get along. Just ask my Mom!


We've had everything from butterflies, moths, bees, crayfish, tadpoles, toads, crickets, praying mantis' all the way to baby birds in our house at one time or another. I draw the line at snakes. Snakes have to stay OUTSIDE in containers.


The other day my washtub backed up. I reached in to pull out whatever was blocking it, and pulled out ... bones!! Yes, bones! Jessica and Jeremy had gone hiking with Alejandro (Jess' boyfriend and Jeremy's best friend). They brought home a skull that they found so they could show it to Andrew and Sarah and identify it. Jeremy put it in a bucket to soak in bleach. When the washtub backed up, the bucket tipped over. And that's why I pulled bones out when I stuck my hand in there. Ugh. I've learned to toughen up as a Mom. Even having four brothers didn't prepare me for the adventures I've had with my children. :o)


Following are a few pictures of different animals we've had or kept to study over the years. There are waaay too many to find and post.



Moth and the cacoon it came out of. Sarah with a butterfly. Andrew with a salamander.


A frog. A tadpole. This was taken at the nature center, but yes, we brought tadpoles home and watched them develop into frogs! A toad eating a worm the kids fed it. Homeschooling ... not for those with a weak stomach!

No comments: